Tuesday 10 January 2012

Light

After this, I know something needs to change.

I look at the world and how it so easily accepts what is evil, declaring evil things to be okay because it has become the norm. Then I look at God, and I am reminded how as Christians we are called to reject the world; to turn away from it and be set apart; to fight the good fight and stay away from evil. To not give in.

And I know it's not easy. The strong stumble. I stumble. I've been hypocritical and I've given into the things of this world on more than one occasion; ignoring the call of the one that has always been right there, waiting for me to see the light. And I realize now that I can't give into the world anymore. It took the darkest night for me to see that I cannot take a sunrise for granted.

The way I see it, if Jesus could sacrifice his life for me, I can sacrifice worldly desires. I realize now that there is no way that I can settle for anything less; I can't live like the world anymore.

"Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. 2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will" - Romans 12:1-2

I can't pretend that it's my own strength or my own will that makes me righteous, though, because I know that I am not strong. I depend on the One who is my strength when I am weak; who has always been there to hold me up when I fall. "For when I am weak, then I am strong." - 2 Corinthians 12:10

And it's a humbling thing to realize that Christianity isn't about being proud of what you can do; it's about being strong enough to admit that we are weak and we need the help of someone greater than ourselves. It's about a change of heart. I'm not perfect; I'll never be perfect. But I know someone who is. 

And the way this is speaking to me right now is scaring me, but I'm no longer going to shut my eyes to it. If this is where I am meant to be, if I am meant to reach out and help, then it is God who is changing my heart and so He can use me as His instrument, to set me on fire and let me be a light in the darkest world.

This is for the one whose love transcends all.
And this is for you.

Let not the things of this world ever sway me.

1 comment:

  1. "Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For everything in the world - the cravings of sinful man, the lust in his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does - comes not from the Father but from the world. The world and it's desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever." - 1 John 15-17

    You are so right.
    We all know that times change, but do they change for the better?

    If you think back to when you were 9 or 10 years old, what were you thinking about back then? Probably about Pokemon, what game you will play at recess with your friends, when the weekend is going to come. Life was innocent and simple. What do 9 or 10 year olds think about now? How they want to meet Justin Beiber, "who should I text/call right now", "what should I do with my bf/gf later", "omg must go watch Twilight b/c it's such an inspiring movie". Huh.

    And this is only the younger generation. The generation that YOU are in right now (16-24), I bet you around 90% of them are worldly people. They hold things/relationships/stuff very highly. Things that are TEMPORARY are more important in their lives. The way I see it, it won't be long before "freedom" means that we can do whatever we want without consequences. Anarchy ftw! I sound bitter, but from when I was a kid until now, the changes that I've seen in the people, in society, the path that we are headed towards is a wobbly one.

    And that is why as Christians, we need to be even more of a light to this world. God called us to GO and bring people to love God. Matt 28: 18-20. Have faith, for God has faith in us. Love Christ wholeheartedly, and keep fighting. Give up everything and enter into a passionate love relationship with God (Francis Chan), for He gave up what was most precious to Him for our sake.

    "And we know that in all things, God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." -Roman 8:28

    "Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed - not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence - continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and act according to his good purpose." -Phil 2:13

    God is good! : )

    ReplyDelete